Tuesday, December 4, 2012

  She wasn't doing any harm

  She wasn't doing any harm, but if Mr. Craven found outabout the open door he would be fearfully angry and geta new key and lock it up forevermore. She really couldnot bear that.
  "This is such a big lonely place," she said slowly, as if shewere turning matters over in her mind. "The house is lonely,and the park is lonely, and the gardens are lonely.
  So many places seem shut up. I never did many thingsin India, but there were more people to look at--nativesand soldiers marching by--and sometimes bands playing,and my Ayah told me stories. There is no one to talk tohere except you and Ben Weatherstaff. And you have to doyour work and Ben Weatherstaff won't speak to me often.
  I thought if I had a little spade I could dig somewhereas he does, and I might make a little garden if he wouldgive me some seeds."Martha's face quite lighted up.
  "There now!" she exclaimed, "if that wasn't one of th'
  things mother said. She says, `There's such a lot o'
  room in that big place, why don't they give her abit for herself, even if she doesn't plant nothin'
  but parsley an' radishes? She'd dig an' rake away an'
  be right down happy over it.' Them was the very wordsshe said.""Were they?" said Mary. "How many things she knows,doesn't she?""Eh!" said Martha. "It's like she says: `A woman asbrings up twelve children learns something besides her AB C. Children's as good as 'rithmetic to set you findin'
  out things.'""How much would a spade cost--a little one?" Mary asked.
  "Well," was Martha's reflective answer, "at Thwaitevillage there's a shop or so an' I saw little garden setswith a spade an' a rake an' a fork all tied together fortwo shillings. An' they was stout enough to work with, too.""I've got more than that in my purse," said Mary.
  "Mrs. Morrison gave me five shillings and Mrs. Medlockgave me some money from Mr. Craven.""Did he remember thee that much?" exclaimed Martha.
  "Mrs. Medlock said I was to have a shilling a week to spend.
  She gives me one every Saturday. I didn't know what tospend it on.""My word! that's riches," said Martha,fake ugg delaine boots. "Tha' can buyanything in th' world tha' wants. Th' rent of ourcottage is only one an' threepence an' it's like pullin'
  eye-teeth to get it. Now I've just thought of somethin',"putting her hands on her hips.
  "What?" said Mary eagerly.
  "In the shop at Thwaite they sell packages o'
  flower-seeds for a penny each, and our Dickon he knowswhich is th' prettiest ones an, how to make 'em grow,ugg boots uk.
  He walks over to Thwaite many a day just for th' fun of it.
  Does tha' know how to print letters?" suddenly,cheap north face down jackets.
  "I know how to write," Mary answered.
  Martha shook her head.
  "Our Dickon can only read printin'. If tha' could print wecould write a letter to him an' ask him to go an' buy th'
  garden tools an' th' seeds at th' same time,fake jordans.""Oh! you're a good girl!" Mary cried. "You are, really! Ididn't know you were so nice. I know I can print lettersif I try. Let's ask Mrs. Medlock for a pen and ink and somepaper.""I've got some of my own," said Martha. "I bought 'emso I could print a bit of a letter to mother of a Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment